Chicken tinga - Easy homemade recipe
Tinga's recipe is one of the most homemade in Mexican cuisine. This dish can be prepared with chicken, pork or beef, but in this case, we will do the one that according to my criteria is the best of the three: the chicken tinga.
The one we are going to prepare, is the true traditional poblano recipe: with its tomato or red tomato sauce, and the characteristic flavor of onion and garlic.
Tinga de pollo poblana
Once finish preparing this easy recipe for chicken tinga, you can use it to make soft tacos, to fill golden tacos, to make delicious toast or even good quesadillas. In any case, for all that, you'll need some corn tortillas.
Chicken tinga, recipe step by step
How to make chicken tinga?
- We will start by cooking the chicken breasts, in a simple way . For this, we will need to heat enough water in a pot, and once it is almost boiling, add a touch of salt, the bay leaf and both breasts.
- Let the breasts cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Once this time has passed, we will check the center of the breasts to make sure they are not still red. In that case, it would be necessary to cook them for a little longer.
- Already with the drained breasts, we will use two forks to shred or undo them in threads.
- Then, we reserve the chicken meat while we take care of the rest of the ingredients (in fact, we can also take advantage of the cooking time of the breasts to do other tasks, simultaneously).
- Peel the onion and cut it into julienne (or wheels, if you prefer). We will also peel the garlic cloves and finely chop them into small pieces.
- Then, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a pan, and use it to fry the onion and garlic, for a few minutes, over medium-low heat (to avoid burning the vegetables). The idea is that the onion begins to become transparent.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, add the contents of the chipotle can and the washed tomatoes. If you wish, you can previously chop the red tomatoes into large pieces, only to facilitate the work of the blender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, a touch of oregano (I recommend a teaspoon, or a little less), the chicken broth, and liquefy the tomatoes and the chipotle.
- Pass the sauce that you just liquefied to the pan, with the onion and garlic.If necessary, correct the seasoning with sauce and pepper.
- Then add the chicken shredding and mix everything well. Let the whole cook for 5 more minutes.
- After this time, evaluate the consistency of your tinga. If it is very hot for your taste, you can let it cook a few more minutes, so that more liquid evaporates and becomes more concentrated and pasty. If, on the other hand, you want it to be more liquid, you can add a little hot water, or better yet, more chicken broth. If you added water, mix well the tinga and try again, to correct the seasoning in case it is needed.
- Your chicken tinga is ready to serve. If you wish, you can remove the leaf or bay leaves.
Tips for preparing the tinga de laurel Chicken
- As for any recipe that needs to use chicken stock, you will always have the industrial chicken broth available at the supermarket. However, for a recipe for homemade chicken tinga and truly loaded with flavor, I recommend you to use a homemade chicken broth, like our chicken broth recipe.
- If you're not Mexican , you may not know what chipotle chili is about. Well, it is a chile that is prepared with different dressings and marinade, and you can get canned. I think it is fair to say that it is one of the most used chiles in Mexican cuisine. As it is sold in preserve, it is quite easy to get in Mexican stores from anywhere in the world. Take into account that if you get it dry and it is not preserved, its flavor will not be the same, because the can already comes prepared.
- When choosing tomatoes or red tomatoes to prepare this recipe, take in Count the consistency you want for your tinga. If you prefer more broth, privileges some tomatoes more liquid consistency. For a more doughy tinga, it is better to choose a more compact type of tomato.